Friday, May 26, 2006

Schools Out for the Summer

Today is the last day of school. And while most of me is wondering what the heck I'm going to do with these kids all day long for 3 months, the good-mom side of me is looking forward to having my kids back. When they start school- first grade anyway- they spend more waking time with other adults and children than they do in your own home. I've realized the last few years that my influence is now competing with the influence of other children and other adults that play a big part in their lives. So as I look forward to the next few months, I'm excited to be able to have breakfast with them instead of rushing them out the door. I'm exicted to not worry about lunch money, notes from school, homework, dance lessons, choir practice, etc. I'm excited to not have to rush around at night trying to get them in bed so we can do the whole thing over again the next day. Most of all I'm grateful that I have good kids and that my influence still matters to them- at least for the next few years anyway.

No comments: