Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Ta Da!

Thanks to Amberlyn, I have "one of those" trees.

When I say "one of those", I'm referring to the trees that don't look like they belong in a house full of 5 roudy children and 1 horse (I mean dog). You know, the ones that look like they should be on the cover of a Martha Stewart Magazine. Amberlyn calls them "Ta Da!" trees.

I have been rebelling against the "Ta Da!" tree for quite some time. With 5 little ones, I thought, "What's the point?" And, why? since everyone else does it? Why should I try to keep up with the Joneses? (Let's face it, put my decorating skills against anyones and I pail in comparison....)

Well, 2 years ago, like 4 days before Christmas, our Charlie Brown tree (the opposite of Ta Da!) broke. One leg of the stand completely busted off and the tree fell down. Refusing to go buy a new tree and re-decorate it so close to Christmas, we duct taped it to the wall. Don't I wish I had a picture of that for my blog!

So last year, we bought a new 12-foot, pre-lit tree at Sams Club. Brigette accompanied me to Taipan Trading and assisted me in picking out some ornaments. She informed me (I had to put this advice to use on my pot shelves and fake walls that I displayed last month as well) that I shouldn't be all "matchy-matchy"- that I should change up my textures and colors. This is after I had filled my cart with mostly Americana-type ornaments. She recommended the red jewels and said I should buy a ton of them. Going against my better judgement, I listened to her. And WOW!- even last year, pre-Amberlyn- the tree looked pretty good!

Today, Amberlyn and I hit the 60% off sale at Shopko to add some more sparkle. It turned out fabulous! I'm glad Brigette and Amberlyn know what they are talking about.... I would have completely ruined this gorgeous tree. In fact, it would have looked better right out of the box with just the lights on it than with my choice of ornaments.

I'm so glad that there are people out there that can help me learn how to decorate! Thanks Brigette and Amberlyn for your wonderful work.

Without further ado, here is (drum roll please....) Amberlyn and the Amazing Christmas Tree!

(I should write a cartoon screen play for that title- the Charlie Brown Christmas, while a classic... needs some competition! Plus, I'm living proof that the Ta Da! trees are much more in fashion!)



7 comments:

Denise said...

it looks amazing.

Dawn said...

Looks beautiful! Can't wait to get my "ta da" tree done!

The "Wild West's" said...

Is mine next? I need decorating help in every room of my home too. I have been looking for just the right ornaments for my tree for oh, the past 6 years! Maybe there is just not the ones I am dreaming of out there! Your home looks quite nice too! I love the red and green lights!!!!

Amberlyn said...

I had a blast decorating your tree. Now you know just how to do it, and knowing is half the battle.

When are you coming to my house to hand me my ornaments? That was the best part. Doing it together.

Anonymous said...

Oh, your tree is beautiful! We're not doing a tree this year since we're moving a few weeks after Christmas, but next year I want to have a "Ta-Da!" tree in my living room :)

Jessica said...

Awesome tree and what a hottie!

Rachel L said...

Your tree looks beautiful, Amy. I just love Christmas. Amberlyn looks so great in these pictures. Great job, to both of you!