Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Flu

I actually got the flu. The one on the news. I remember saying to Robin one year, "How do people die from the flu?" Well, now I understand. And believe me, I won't be going without a flu shot ever again. (Even though this year the CDC said it was only 40% effective)

It started with a cough on Sunday. Then in the middle of the night, I woke up with a 102 degree fever. I've been in bed ever since.

My poor kids! Ed worked Tuesday and Wednesday so they were pretty much on their own. Hannah woke me up Tuesday night and said, "Mom, it's 7 o'clock. Dad's not home yet and we haven't eaten. Can I make pancakes?" By the time Ed got home, hunger was averted and the kitchen was getting cleaned up.

Wow- it's never easy to be sick but to know that things will run without you and you don't have to crawl out of bed to tie a shoe or do someone's hair is a really great thing.

Ed has the rest of the week and this weekend off which means I can relax and get better. But I've already been in bed for 4 days- how much longer?

5 comments:

Denise said...

Feel better soon. Then, call me.

Dawn said...

Good luck babe and stay away from me. This is one of the only years I haven't gotten a shot.

Hilary said...

I think day 5 is when you start to feel better, or so I hear. That's a very long time for a mommy though.
Hugs and chicken soup to you.

Amberlyn said...

I feel so bad that I'm stuck at home healing from a c-section and am absolutely no use to you!!! I am so glad that Ed is home to help you. And I hope that you get better really soon. I've been that sick before, and I agree, I would have rather died then continue feeling like that. And, I will be praying that no one else in your family gets it!!! Love you girlfriend!!!!

Robin said...

So sorry you're sick. It's great that your kids could take care of themselves though. I don't know how my kids would have managed if we were in the same situation.