Saturday, March 29, 2008

Here? Already?

Hannah had her first babysitting job today.

So I was sitting around the house in the early afternoon just watching the first 4 episodes of Dancing with the Stars that I had missed in the last couple of weeks when a woman from the ward called and asked, "Does your daughter babysit?"

I said, "Well, she's 10."

Miranda: "Right. But she seems so much older."

Me: "She is very mature and very responsible and I do leave her home alone with her brothers and sister occasionally and she does a great job but she hasn't really had any official babysitting jobs."

This didn't matter to Miranda. She had called all of the YW and there was absolutely no one available. So I asked Hannah if she wanted to and she said yes. She ended up babysitting about 3 hours for Miranda's 4 year old and almost 2 year old.

She called me 3 times to ask for guidance.

How did I get here? When did I get here? Obviously I know the answers but for the love..... we're here already? It just seems like yesterday that the was walking around in her dress-up high heels and her underwear fully accessorized with a beaded necklace and tiara.

I'm old. My kids are old. And I want time to slow down.

I do feel proud and consider it a compliment however, that others think my daughter is responsible and mature. And I think it's to her credit as much as it is mine.

And now more than ever, I'm trying to "Enjoy the Journey" and not wish it away- because this is it..... I'm trying to enjoy each day I have with Hannah and my other children because it won't be long before they're gone.

Oh... and her and I are going to make a babysitting bucket this next week so she'll be prepared for her next job. At least she is still young enough to think that having her mom help her with this project is a good idea!

5 comments:

Hilary said...

SHUT.
UP.
I can't believe it either, but since we moved when she was what, 3? I've always thought of her as that age.
Although, it's against the law in cA to have a babysitter under 12, so here you wouldn't worry for a couple more years. :)

Denise said...

I can't believe it either!

What are you going to put in your babysitting bucket?

Can you take a couple of photos so I can see?

I know, I'm a dork.

Dawn said...

Wasn't it just yesterday that we were babysitters????

Is she as cheap as my babysitter - $3/hr. for 3 kids 5 and under? LOVE IT!

Bella & Sofie's favorite babysitters have always been the young ones that will actually play with them and bring things to entertain.

Robin said...

Kira has already started pestering me about when she can start babysitting. I can't imagine her taking care of other people's children. She's still my little girl and I don't want her to grow up to fast.

Amberlyn said...

This is such a major milestone. I can't imagine my Hannah babysitting in just a few short years. But I know it's coming up fast.
I am amazed at what a great job with how casually you are dealing with it all.
You are such an inspiration to me!!