Saturday, March 29, 2008

Reasons for Allowance

I never used to pay my kids allowance. There is a lot of work to be done to keep a home running and part of being a member of a family is doing your fair share around the house. That was my philosophy. So the only way they got paid for chores was if they asked for, were assigned, and completed an extra job.

Surprisingly, no one really asked for these extra jobs on a consistent basis.

I realized that by not giving them an allowance, that I wasn't creating a situation to teach them about tithing, money management and financial obligations.

So we started paying them a weekly allowance that is equal to the amount of daily and weekly chores that they are assigned. I pay them the last Saturday of the month (I can remember it better like this- kind of like a bill).

Well, the boys have been getting invited to a lot of b-day parties- much more than the girls. They each got invited to a friend's party Friday night. All of these parties were getting old. So I put a new rule into place.

If you get invited to a birthday party and would like to attend, you are responsible for buying the gift. I thought this might deter the boys from wanting to go on Friday. Nope. They ponied right up! They each gave me $10 (all the money in their bank) to get a present for their friend.

At first, I felt a little guilty since I don't know any parent who makes their five year old pay for their friend's present. But then I realized that this helps them learn exactly what I wanted them to learn in the first place by paying them an allowance.

So tough or not- this is way we're going to roll when it comes to friend's birthday parties.

(Side note: Isn't it funny to watch how each child saves or spends their money? It's like an inherit trait or something. Haylee is our saver (she has over $50), Alex is our spender, too soon to tell about Logan, and Hannah has figured out that quality matters so while she doesn't save just to save like Haylee- she will save for a specific item rather than buy the first junky thing she sees at Wal Mart.)

6 comments:

Denise said...

We make the kids pay $5.00 per birthday.

This way they contribute, but not ALL their money is spent this way.

We actually make them pay half for a lot of stuff...school things, etc.

Allowance just doesn't seem enough right now to make them pay for everything.

But once they are working (or babysitting) I think that we will increase how much they have to pay.

Hilary said...

I've thought about having Conner start using his allowance to buy presents. Or maybe giving 5 bucks from me, and the rest comes from him.....
Currently my child knows no other way then 10% goes in tithing, 50% in savings and the rest in spending.... it will be a sad day when that changes!

Dawn said...

We have a philosophy - not quite sure where it came from - about allowance as well.

Each week (month, whatever) they each get an allowance and it is just a benefit to being in the family. It has nothing to do with chores. Just as I get spending money, grocery money, etc.

They do have "chores" they are expected to do, as well as do anything else they are asked, but cannot affect the allowance.

With Bella only getting $1/week, and Sofie .10/week, they haven't really worked on more than paying tithing with it.

Robin said...

We've been paying our kids allowances for quite some time. I never thought about having them pay for birthday presents though. I like the $5 idea.

What I love best about having them have their own money is that when they ask me to buy them something, I can respond: you can have it if you want to pay for it. It's amazing how many things they decide they don't want after all.

Amberlyn said...

I think it's such a great idea!! I would love to incorporate allowance with my children. And from reading others comments, we might be the only ones not implementing this principle.

Angie said...

Amy,
Every time I read your blog and see what your family is up to these days, you continue to inspire me to be a better person. I am very lucky to have you in my life and am glad I can call you family. You are an amazing person... Luv ya, Angie