Monday, January 12, 2009

A Favorite Quote and a Bold Prophet

I taught the lesson, "Leading the Lord's Way" from the Joseph Smith manual yesterday in Relief Society. It was one of my favorite lessons so far and the whole time I was preparing, I kept thinking of one of my favorite quotes:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

- Marianne Williamson

I kept thinking that the Prophet Joseph was bold and he was strong. He didn't play small to avoid hurting other's feelings. He led and taught with the Spirit. And because he did this, others had the courage to let their lights shine as well. I know that all of our talents and gifts come from our Father in Heaven and we should use them every day to uplift those around us.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

That was a great lesson to read through. Unfortunately, I didn't think our actual lesson was that great... but I did enjoy reading through it. She was somehow tying it into family history and I couldn't quite make the leap. :) Next week's lesson is good too, I'm teaching so I've already been reading it for a while.

Heather Anderson-Lane said...

Amy I love that quote! I needed that today! Thanks! Hope all is well with your cute, growing family.

Rindee said...

Thank you for posting that quote. I loved it. I was going to come and ask you for it after RS, but didn't get a chance to.

Your lesson gave me some great ideas for parenting, too.

Amberlyn said...

You taught a great lesson. As always. Which is a testiment to you using the talents that your Heavenly Father has given you. You constantly bless the lives of the sisters in our ward.

Shelly said...

hey amy, i wanted to say thanks as well for being such a neat person. i truly hope to bring more of your qualities into my life. and i have decided to start a blog of my own! wish me luck ;)Shelly

Britt said...

You are so cool. I miss you and your light.