Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Prompting & Comforting Spirit

Tonight for FHE, the kids had their monthly PPI with Ed and he also gave them their annual Father Blessings that we traditionally do before school starts (a little late this year).

It was a great evening! The kids really look forward to their interview with their Dad. I'm so happy that they love this monthly occasion. I know they are still young and I'm sure their time will come (the rolling of the eyes and the big sighs) when they seem to hate it. But I know it will be one of those memories that comes up when we're all around the table for a family dinner in 20 years. And I love that the traditions that we have are consistent and stable.

For Christmas 2005, "Santa" left us a family journal. It's just the ordinary journal that you can find at the Distribution Center and is engraved with "The Huhtala Family". I put a copy of my Annual Christmas Letter in there along with the letters I write my kids every Christmas Eve. I also write down the main points of their New School Year Father's Blessings. Haylee was the last child to come in for her blessing. As we were waiting for her and I was reviewing her previous year's blessings, I had an impression come to me that she would be blessed to be protected and spared. This prompting didn't come as to much of a shock since I have had these types of promptings concerning Haylee every since she was born. As I have told a few of you, Haylee is the only one of my children that I cannot close my eyes and see her in adulthood. All of others, I have a feeling of what they will be, look like, accomplish, etc. I don't know why I am not able to see her, but I have always felt that Heavenly Father has been preparing me for something regarding Haylee's time on earth.

Tonight, in Haylee's blessing, Ed paused for a second. He then continued and said, "I bless you that the Spirit will guide and direct you and keep you from danger- that you will be safe." He was pretty choked up during this and the rest of her blessing. After Haylee left the room, I turned to Ed and knowing what I was going to ask, he shrugged. He did not know why he had said that but he felt the words come to his mind and then as he thought about what they meant, he could barely continue with the blessing. I reminded him of my previous feelings and my inability to see her as an adult. As we continued to talk and share our feelings, we both felt comforted by the Spirit and by our knowledge that Families are Forever.

I may not know for a very long time why Haylee was given that particular blessing tonight. And I may not know for a very long time why I'm unable to see her as an adult. But what I do know is that Heavenly Father loves me, my husband, and all of my children. His plan is greater than mine. I must continue to have faith in His plan and His Gospel. And I must be strong enough to follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost- wherever they may lead.

6 comments:

Denise said...

Oh...I know He will be there for you, but I would hate to have these feelings.

We love you all!!!

ps. I haven't had time to burn this disc. I will do it this week.

pps. Don't think I'm mad...I'm just an dork.

The "Wild West's" said...

Wow! I was crying when I read your entry. You have a great out look of life! of-course I know why. The love of our Savior and our testimony's can help us through hard times.

Heather Anderson-Lane said...

Amy you look amaaaaaaaazing! It was so good to hear from you. The kids are so adorable and growing fast! We were just talking about you guys the other day. Dakota(bubba) was remembering when he took guitar lessons from
Ed how fun. Tell everyone Hi from us. Luv you guys!!!

Amberlyn said...

WOW, what a very touching and emotional experience.

How comforting the gospel is to us and our families. He is ALWAYS there for us and knows what is best.

Jolinda said...

Amy, you amaze me! I know we are merely aquaintances but this testimony is a powerful one. Whatever happens, this knowledge of our Heavenly Father's love will pull you throuh. Thanks for sharing something so intimate.

Crazy Lady said...

Just remember, you still don't know why you are having these feelings and it may not be for the reasons you think. Only the Lord knows. Remind me to share my experience in getting my Patriarchal blessing with you.