Tuesday, November 04, 2008

My Civic Duty

I am working the polls today.

I got to take an oath and everything.

I thought it would be an easy, quick way to make a $100. Turns out it's easy but long hours and the money isn't so quick. I'll be lucky if I get the check before Christmas.

But it's tax-free. Yippee!

And since my grandmother was a poll worker, I feel like I'm carrying on a family tradition in some sort of odd way.

I hope somebody acts crazy and I get to kick them out or something. It will shake things up a little. Hey, I did take an oath to defend the constitution and every citizens' right to vote freely and without fear. I take that oath seriously.

Did you know that you can't wear an Obama or McCain hat or shirt? You don't get kicked out or anything but you do have to take it off. Or, you know, turn it inside out if it's the only shirt you're wearing.

Anyway- happy voting. And if you come to vote at Larsen Elementary, bring your I.D. because I can't verify your identity even though I know you.

I took an oath!

6 comments:

Denise said...

I'd like to see you rough somebody up. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

patpoyfair said...

Amy has roughed me up a few times. I wouldn't put it past her.

Coupon Person said...

My kids wore their "House 58 Steve Baugh, a man you can trust," shirts to school. I hope THEY don't get kicked out. Way to do your civic duty, next time sign me up..do you get a referral bonus?

Amberlyn said...

I am SOOO working the polls next time with you!!! I was bummed that my duties as a lactating mother were stronger then my civic.

Although I did vote, for the first time EVER!!!

Rachel L said...

That is great, Amy! Can't wait to hear if there were any outbursts.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
This is your Dad's cousin Bruce Hill......I am working on a family tree and was looking for information.....my email address where you can contact me is bruce@bbhill.net - if you remember, I am the one that was in the Navy for 22.5 years.......Doc helped me get signed in......anyway.....please contact me so we can chat.
Thanks
Bruce