Saturday, November 08, 2008

Nice Lesson...

Okay so I know that the RS lessons are inspired and that there is a reason we need to learn about the things in the Joseph Smith manual. I also suspect that by tomorrow at 1:55 p.m. MST, I'll be looking back on a great lesson and regret this venting session.

However... Come On! Give us teachers a break! We're supposed to teach 45-50 minutes on a lesson composed solely of a few paragraphs of Church History and letters written by Joseph Smith to Emma and the kids? Hello!

So these are my ideas so far:

1. Copy and paste each letter from the lesson into an individual letter addressed to Emma and have participants pick a letter out of a basket to read and discuss.

2. Break into groups and have each group pretend they are leaders of 5000 women and have to write one letter to this group of women that will be read in smaller congregations. We'll make this a latter-day experience. For example, these women are living in uncertain times when men threaten to take away all that these women hold dear, including the sanctity of families. What do they tell them to uplift, encourage and give them strength?

Ya- that's all I got. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks. I know it's late notice but does anyone have any profound ideas? Before you do, glance at the lesson to see what I'm up against.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

I picked my favorites, and we read and discussed those, and then quickly went through a few of the questions in the back. I only end-up with like 25 minutes for my lesson. So, what'd you end-up doing?

Denise said...

Hope your lesson went well.

Amy said...

I ended up typing all 12 letters into separate letters. I folded them like letters and added formalities such as "Dear Emma" and "Love, Joseph" in the letter where these weren't present.

I asked for volunteers to come up and choose a letter and read it.

After each one, we discussed our thoughts, etc.

It went well- our sisters are always very willing to participate so their are rarely awkward (sp?) silences.

If there is, they know that I'll just wait for someone to speak so someone ends up volunteering a comment real quick.

Robin said...

I think that was a great idea.