Monday, November 10, 2008

Who's on the Lord Side?

I happened upon a blog while I was doing some research for my lesson. Here is the link if you're interested: http://the-exponent.com/. At a quick glance, it appears to be a blog where several LDS women blog about church lesson helps, politics, and other items that affect LDS women.

On the right hand column of the page, there are post teasers that they call "chatter". One of them caught my eye. It said, "Prop 8 Fallout: where do we go from here?" I really enjoyed the post and could sympathize with the writer even though I didn't actively campaign for Prop 8. I am grateful to the church members in California for their hard work and service and I feel that Prop. 8 would not have passed without their efforts.

The comments on the post leave a lot to be desired. A lot of the comments are from "active LDS members" who opposed Prop. 8 and want to let the world know that not all Mormons want to take away other's civil rights. Some comments talk about how it's within their right to disagree with the Prophet and still get a Temple Recommend. The comments criticize the way the church is ran and how church resources (namely $$$) are distributed.

I wanted to post so badly my thoughts on this but I knew it wouldn't come out nice so I refrained. As I read down the comments, I did read a few opinions from those that held my same opinion. I do not think it's right to openly criticize the church and openly disagree with our Priesthood Leaders.

I have struggled with doctrine in the past. I have struggled with local ward leader's decisions. And I have even been guilty of gossiping about these struggles in an attempt to win other's favor and nods of agreement. Misery loves company.

I have learned that my behavior of gossiping about it and creating contention doesn't do anyone, least of all myself, any good. Now when I question something or have a hard time, I first go to Father in Heaven in prayer. Second to my husband and close friends who won't judge me for my opinions. It's during these conversations with Ed and my friends that my heart if softened, my mind is open, and my mouth is closed. I appreciate my friends who can help me find peace with doctrine and help teach me to not feed my rebellious soul.

I didn't feel that the people who wrote these posts were trying to find peace. I felt like they were spreading contention by trying to convince others that their opposition of Prop. 8 was justified. And as I read down the comments, I felt that this contention snowballed out of control. I feel sad for those who don't agree with Prop. 8 but hope that they can find the peace and freedom that comes with obedience.

As I talked about this with Ed- he read me a passage in the book, "50 Signs of the Times" by David J. Ridges. It is long but I wanted to share it:

The book is organized by stating the sign and the category of the sign (as in "Been Fulfilled, "Currently being fulfilled" and "Yet, Future")

Sign #29

"People will refuse to believe obvious truth and will instead adhere to fables and falsehood. Category: Being Fulfilled

This prophecy of conditions shortly preceding the Second Coming of Christ needs little explanation. When people get sufficiently wicked and selfish, they no longer think rationally.

Indeed, wickedness does not promote rational thought. In the face of social trends and political posturing which, to the the rational mind, will obviously lead to the destruction of society as we know it, with its built-in safeguards for human freedom and use of agency, such people stand aghast at truth and moral principles. They flush in anger at those who advocate the standards of the Bible and the gospel of Christ as the basis for the survival of society.

Paul, the Apostle, prophesied in Timothy: He said, 'For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned into fables.'

We often apply these verses to the gospel and the tendency of the spiritually blind and deaf to reject its teachings and blessings. This is certainly the case. However, no doubt these verses can be applied also to common sense and rational thought processes in all matters relating to the governing of nations and communities as well as to standards to which the media should be held accountable. The "teachers, having itching ears" and "fables" mentioned by Paul can certainly include the peers of those who would have us pass unrighteous or unwise laws, as well as the peers and fans of Hollywood and other media production centers who insist on the "anything goes" philosophy of entertainment."

I don't post this to be on a high horse or self-righteous. I post this
#1) to remind myself to stay committed to the Gospel of Christ and to not be deceived,

#2) the Second Coming is getting nearer every day and we are in the process of being separated- time to get off the fence, and

#3) to make a stand. Prop. 8 is not about civil rights. It is about the true definition of marriage. I believe that marriage should only exist between a man and a woman. I believe that by stating this that I'm following the Prophet and other leaders of the church, and more importantly, Jesus Christ.

I wonder that in the future, if the Church will make a stand that I struggle to support. I wonder if I have the strength to be obedient. I wonder that while I feel I'm on the Lord's side of the Prop. 8 issue, what will come along to make me tempted to stand on the other side?

AND.... most importantly, do I have the strength to deal with ALL OF THIS while at the same time leading, teaching, caring for, loving and nurturing my own little family?

8 comments:

Keith said...

Church leaders have officially stated they do not oppose the legalization of domestic partnerships. This does not mean they support redefining marriage to exclude gender, but it means they are not opposed to gays obtaining the rights they seek.

thetrying.wordpress.com

Amy said...

These people must google certain buzz words all day and visit random blogs so they can make their voice heard.....

Friends: don't let his comment detour you or get you off track. I am interested in your thoughts, feelings and inspirations- they truly uplift me. Thanks!

Hilary said...

A) The exponent isn't he place I would go to get stuff for lessons... sometimes there's good stuff and I used to read it but when we got our new computer I chose to keep it off our favorites.
B) The women on there aren't like me. Many of them don't really follow the prophet in their hearts and that's why I stopped reading.
c) There've been a LOT of emails talking about how there will be a time of separation in the church. I think this was a biggie, and for me the hard part is loving the people who chose not to do what they asked. Anyway, lots to think about. Just be glad you don't live here. :)

Hilary said...

My comment sounded off... and mean. I don't mean they're not like "me" -- but most likely they're not women I would hang out with. I uncomfortable with a lot of things they talk about on there. Not wearing garments some of the time, not appreciating their bishop, etc.

Amy said...

Thanks Hil for letting me know about Exponent. I wasn't sure I was comfortable with the feel of the website and thought my disclaimer of "at a glance" would alert people to procede with caution.

It should have tipped me off that they published each comment even though some were directly disagreeing with the leaders of the church.

I knew what you meant about "not like me" - no worries.

I hear people who live in Utah talk about how different it is here and how Utahns tend to be judgemental on one hand and jack-mormons on the other.

Having grown up outside of Utah and then having lived here 15 years, I think it's harder to live outside of Utah. You have such a great responsibility and sometimes it can be exhausting. It's also hard when you see your peers not living up to that responsibility.

It seems if you want to be exact in following the commandements, and the leaders of the church, you are looked upon as being "boring", a "Molly" or just plain stuck up.

I appreciate your exactness and thank you for being an example.

Karin said...

I agree to all of the above.(: and yes I am still doing color. Call me.

Denise said...

I too wonder how faithful I could be in this.

I agree that marriage is about a man and woman marrying and creating a union that benefits society and protects children.

But getting out in the trenches scares the beejeebees out of me.

I admire that Hilary was so faithful in this, even though it was so diffciult.

Robin said...

You know how I feel about expressing my opinion but I'm going to take a chance and speak up anyway.

I think it's pretty simple. We have been promised that the Lord will not let our Prophet lead us astray. So with that confidence, I think if the Prophet asks us to do something, we do it. Even if we don't understand it. I think it's okay to pray about it and try to understand it, (because Heavenly Father has also given us the wonderful gift of personal revelation), but in the end we should follow his council. The prophet is the Lord's mouth piece. If you choose to ignore the prophet, you choose to ignore our Father in Heaven.

I don't want to sound preachy, but that is the way I see it (I just wish it was as easy to do it).