Wednesday, January 16, 2008

High & Low

I've been struggling with enjoying dinner time and with the start of a new year, I've re-committed myself to making dinner every night with the intention of making meal time true family time. I heard something in Relief Society that I thought might help and tried it out. It's called High & Low. Around the dinner table, each family member shares with everyone the best thing and the worst thing that happened to them that day. The kids have loved it and dinner time is now one of my favorite times during the day. It gives us a chance to connect daily with the kids about their lives. If there is something we need to speak more in depth about, I can make time for that child later on in the evening. I love that as the kids get older, I want to spend time with them- as opposed to counting down the days until my next Girls Night Out.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

This post just made me feel better about my own boy issues. :)

Hilary said...

Oh, wait -- that other post was for Alex -- I loved this idea too. That's what you get for opening 2 windows. ;) We will def. try this tonight.

Dory said...

I love this idea! We are going to do it tonight :)

Amberlyn said...

I love the High and Low idea. I started that when school began. It quickly fizziled out due to my children saying the same things over and over. So my question is, how to you get your kids to contribute unique ideas?

Amy said...

As far as the unique ideas... I try to make my answers unique. I think about it all day long. Otherwise, every night I would say, "My high was spending time with my family. "My low was I didn't want to get out of bed." Sometimes, my unique answers no one understands like "My high was I got caught up on my AR at work." But then we get to have a discussion about what AR is and they want to learn about Mommy's day so they listen. So in short... just put effort into your answers and they'll follow. (maybe) Logan still stays My High was I got to play with Beckham (except when he didn't and then it's a low) and my low is I didn't get to play the Wii (except when he did and then it's a high) What can you do?

Robin said...

great great idea! It has got to the point that I hate dinner times at our house. What with picky eaters and everything. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for the idea!