Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Technology Impaired, but Grateful

In the age of cell phones, texting, instant-messaging, i-pods, blogs, etc., I've often felt handicapped. Since most of these things became mainstream in my late-twenties while I was busy having babies and figuring out how to pinch a penny- I've been lost.

However, lately, I've figured out how to use these mediums to do many worthwhile things and I'm so grateful!

Ed and I started texting each other when we have something to say throughout the day. It's been great for him since he works in a hospital and can't answer a cell phone. My mom and I text as well- we remind each other to watch American Idol, etc.

As you well know, I've been consistently posting messages on my own blog as well as checking my close friend's blogs almost every day. This has allowed me to become closer to them despite the thousand plus miles between us. I can even hear their voices as I read what they've written. I"ve been uplifted as they've shared their testimonies. I have felt awe at their amazing strengths and accomplishments. Most of all, I've felt love and acceptance.

Robin and I sometimes g-mail chat online - how wonderful that we can connect like this. Chatting is a great way to talk because you can multi-task at the same time. And if you ever wonder what I'm smokin' on my blog you surely don't want to g-mail chat- it's even crazier..... Robin can handle it though- she's an uber-IM'er!

And, occasionally, as I'm just getting into bed, Ed will hand me an earphone bud attached to his i-pod and play me a romantic, relaxing song. What a great way to fall asleep!

All of these devices and programs can surely get out of control quickly but when used for good purposes, and in moderation can really help you cope with life! I love technology. It still takes a back seat to a nice, handwritten, snail-mail card but I love the immediacy of it all.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Love technology, although I have yet to text anyone.
I'm a HUGE IM'er -- love that medium.

Amberlyn said...

I too, love how easy it is to stay in contact with those that are so far away. It's been so nice to visit my sister's blog and check on the progress of her twin boys. What would we do without technology?

Robin said...

You may be able to multi-task but it takes all my brain power to keep up with you! You're amazing! What would we do without all our fun little toys?