Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Mind Over Matter & Balance

I realized something this morning that I love about going to work everyday. I didn't let my children's behavior affect my attitude. When you stay home, it is much more difficult to stay positive and be happy, no matter what situations you are dealing with.

I found myself getting irritated this morning with my children for lots of dumb little things. When I work, I don't get hung up on these dumb little things because I can see them for what they are. When I'm home and my entire day revolves around cleaning, laundry, cheerleading, cooking, to-do lists, errands and so forth - not to mention all the teaching, tutoring, reminding, helping, encouraging and counseling. I do all these things when I work as well but it's not all that I do. And because I'm trying to fit much more "doing" in a 16 hour day, I don't get caught up on everyone's moods. I'm focused, attentive and goal-oriented. All the other things slide right off me.

I guess this is one of the reasons why staying at home is more difficult for me than working. It's either 100 miles an hour (upward progress) or a dead stop (downward spiral).

I really need to figure out how to have some internal balance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my wonderful friend. I loved reading your blog. Now that I have figured out how to do a few things I will be checking on and learning from your blog. Your family is so beautiful. You are the kind of person that I can ask your opinion and I you will honestly give it to me. You are always full of fun ideas and I find our conversations are inspiring for the most part. You are the best! Amy...I just love ya tons and tons!!!!

Amberlyn said...

Being a mother is FOR SURE the hardest thing I've ever done. But then again, I haven't done much in my life but BE a mother. But I do know that staying home and figuring out how to balance our lives intertwining with our children's will be the greatest reward. We don't receive the instant gratification that we desire in raising our children. The gratification comes when our children are grown and they finally realize what it was that we did day to day and finally say, "Thanks Mom for all you did. You were amazing!!! How did you do it? I am the person I am today because of what you did for me."

It is HARD to stay at home. But home is where your children need you. They love you and want you to be there for them. It's so worth figuring out.

That's why I am grateful that I have you to be my sounding board. I hope someday I can be your sounding board as well.

You are an amazing mother and you ALWAYS find a solution.

Hilary said...

Sometimes when work is particularly stressful -- those things get even MORE annoying.
I've never not worked, so I'm not sure I know what it's totally like, but sometimes I work less and for me it's SO much less stressful. But, since I have a fairly stressful job -- that could be it. :)

Crazy Lady said...

Dude. When you figure it all out let me know the secret. I think the entire challenge of life is finding balance.