Monday, August 18, 2008

Random Thoughts from My Soap Box...

Our Ward is having their first Relief Society overnighter in September and I'm so excited! Unfortunately a lot of my friends in the ward are not excited- and are not planning to go.

This is where those of you who are in my ward stop reading if you don't want to hear my opinion on this. (Of course now that I said that you must go on...) I'm dying to share my thoughts and my only other option was Testimony Meeting so feel relieved that I chose my blog instead....

So personally, I feel like this is the best type of activity our RS Pres. could ever plan. We have like what, 1/10th of all the primary kids in the world in our ward alone? Obviously that's exaggerated but for those of you who don't know, over 50% of our ward is under the age of 12. So my point (one of them) is that how many of us get to leave our husbands and kids EVER completely free of guilt and apology? Not many. This is why so many of us are early to Enrichment.

Fortunately for me, I have a husband who is constantly encouraging me to have my own free time and get out of the house with my friends. When the kids were little and I never left, he would have to call my friends and say, "Come get her- she needs to get out and won't go on her own. I'll even watch your kids!" (On these occasions, Ed would end up with anywhere from 3 to 7 additional children to entertain - all under the age of 5 or 6)

I know that this is a rare quality in a husband and believe me, I am sooo grateful. But for those sisters who don't get a lot a free time to be with other women- this is a FREE PASS. It's a church activity.... how can you feel guilty, apologetic and all of those other sorry words when you are taking time to fill your lamp?

One of the other reasons I am so excited to go is the chance to talk to, hang out, be silly, play games, laugh and cry with women in the ward who I don't get the opportunity to be around through normal church service. I have never been in a ward where I could literally sit down with any one of the 100+ sisters and have a meaningful conversation. Seriously- every woman in our ward is that amazing.

I've heard mentioned that some of the women are worried about cliques and groups. This type of activity breaks down those walls- it eliminates them. Take Girls Camp for example. Young Women are just an earlier version of ourselves, right? I was so proud to see our YW at Girls Camp unite and serve each other. This is why the Church has Girls Camp. Because when you are on a mountain or in a canyon, the Spirit is all around. That quiet beauty that constantly whispers, we are children of a Divine Being who loves us, inspires and motivates us to become one. It is easier to love each other and serve one another when we are removed from the daily chores of our lives. When we get a chance to be with other women minus the children, husbands, homes, cars, and other responsibilities, we are more open to becoming one. Gone are the comparisons, the inadequacies, the doubts. All that's left is our open hearts.... and bad camping hair!

I really feel strongly about this (can you tell?)! We need activities like this to catch our breaths. Fill up. Recharge. We need each other to do this.

And for that 1% that might read this and go, "No- I don't need it. I'm fine." Well, then don't do it for yourself. Do it for those of us that need you.

Phew! This soap box is sagging with my weight. (But not as much as it used to!)

8 comments:

Amberlyn said...

Thanks for voicing your feelings. Even though I am one of those sisters that felt like not going, I feel the same way. I have decided that I too will be going. "it's only money, lady".

Amy said...

I woke up this morning and realized that I did not mention that the "retreat" costs $30.00. And I understand that may be a concern for some sisters.

However, it's just another concern- a road block- it's not a deal breaker.

Some sisters have donated extra money so that those who can't pay the $30 can still come.

Thanks Amberlyn for your comment- it wouldn't be the same without you! And we are so playing big booty!

Dawn said...

It sounds like fun. Amy, I've never known you to NOT like a sleepover - at any age. You're going to be like 80 years old, and still attending sleepovers, whereever they'll take you!

Hilary said...

Interesting.
Our ward's never done this. I doubt very many people would come. Most spouses don't even watch the kids for regular enrichment -- I doubt they'd do 18 hours or something. :)
The cost though -- that's NOT cool. Not sure why they have to charge it, or if there was some way around it... I'm anti-charging-stuff-for-church activities. But, our ward is a special circumstance, perhaps

Rindee said...

I am so excited for our RS excursion! I am so ready to take my Free Pass to a weekend of (I won't say quiet, cuz I can already hear your contageous laughter)adult time. I think that even if I'm the only one that showed up I'd still be happy with hours with no one to be in charge of but me. (Can you tell I get desperate for just a few moments with uninterrupted existing?) And then, the more people that show up the more fun it will be.
I agree with what you said about it being like girls camp. It seems the longer you spend time with people you think you know, the more you realize that you have really only touched the surface of an intreguing personality. That's hard to see when we only visit once a week with hardly any free-visiting time. I agree we have some amazing women in our ward.

Jessica said...

I think that this is THE perfect opportunity for husbands to serve their wives and bond with their children. Come on people! What a creative idea.

Jeanine Reynolds said...

I'm so glad you voiced your opinion. I'm on the excursion committee and it is discouraging and sad to see that so many don't want to be involved. It is going to be an amazing and fun experience and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Lisa said...

So maybe this is where I should have commented that I had so much fun with you at the excursion! And by the way, before it happened, I made a stink about supporting it, too. Sisters complain about our ward not being unified and I am a big supporter if someone wants to do something about it. Come on! It was so much fun. Those ladies that complain about not being unified and then not coming? Shame on them. I didn't see any cliques there! It was AWESOME!